Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Typing/Blogging

There are many different typing programs on the web. I chose a free kid friendly one for my 1st grade students to work on, http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/keyboarding_games.html. I began the year with them practicing typing because many of the students I have may have never used a computer before. They quickly became familiar with the keys on the keyboard. I will continue using typing programs throughout the year to enable the students to become more adept at typing.

As students learned to type, I gave them opportunities to use their skills in authentic ways. Students were excited to write their stories on the computer. I had the students summarize themes we were studying in the blog. I sent the blog address out to other teachers and administrators to get others to respond to the students. Listed here are some of the posts from the students:
My Pet Dinosaur
I Can! Can You?
I found blogging easy to set up and easy for the students to use. I will continue to have the students blog throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment